Sunday, April 8, 2012

Did You Know That Rodents Fly?

I totally did not.

I don't think this little guy knew either until about 30 seconds before this shot.
Harrier Handoff (6)

Don’t you just love nature?

I was caught off-guard by dad (or mom?) hunting. I did catch the initial spot and grab of the aforementioned rodent, but they were all fuzzy as hell as I was doing more “aw, shit” than shooting.

Dad (or mom) right after the kill
Harrier Handoff (1)

Fast food

Harrier Handoff (2)

He (or she) gained some altitude and waited.

Harrier Handoff (3)

Coming..

Harrier Handoff (4)

I said I’m coming!

Harrier Handoff (5)

Then we had the awesome drop

Harrier Handoff (6)

And subsequent grab

Harrier Handoff (8)

And then we take off to find a place to eat, I suppose.

Harrier Handoff (11)

Not sure if this would be a pair or an adult and juvenile. If you know, please fill me in!

14 comments:

  1. outrageous shots, love it
    Happy Easter bunnies
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these pictures are amazing! Love the series

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos!!! I know those "oh shit" photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a mating pair of Northern Harriers (Marsh Hawks). Blue/grey is the male, brown/red is the female. Juveniles look a lot like females, but I think it's a bit too early for anything other than nesting and egg laying.

    Very nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME! I love hat you caught it all. I'll certainly be sharing this post with all of my co-workers, they will swoon over the shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Flo!

    I knew the Harrier part and suspected that the first one was male, but he's not as white as other photos I have seen - young? winter plumage? Why can't these dang birds just look the same all the time?! :)

    Pia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap! What an awesome sequence you caught!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PAAAAAWESOME shots!!


    lots of licks,
    Swisher and Oakley

    ReplyDelete
  9. unbelievably awesome shots. damn. i need a better camera!

    ReplyDelete