Thursday, December 15, 2011

A No Dog Post. Well, Maybe One Dog

Last weekend I actually left the house to do something with without the dogs.

I know!

And it wasn’t even grocery shopping or something boring like that.

Hiking without dogs is weird. Kind of nice, also. I wanted to shoot some birds and try out the trails at the park that don’t allow dogs.

I still had poop bags in my pocket, though. You never know, right? Maybe come across random abandoned poop? Even though park rangers don’t give out raffle tickets for turning in random poops like the agility folks do, still, good dog-owning citizen even without dogs.

Birds do less flying away without dogs in tow

Western Scrub-Jay

They don’t even un-nap

Northern Shoveler

Just pose, like they were waiting for your pokey ass to get up the hill and photograph them

Common Yellowthroat

Christmas card-y posing

Yellow-rumped Warbler

This is a horrible pic of a Coot, but their feet just kill me! Ginormous! And, green! Way too big for a bird that is duck-sized but not a actually a duck. Please do yourself a favor and do NOT refer to a coot as a duck around bird folks. Don’t go there. Won’t be pleasant. Right up there with farting in church.

American Coot

And, in case you were wondering… “V”’s are so last year. “I” is in. All the cool kids are doing it.

Canada Goose

And now the dog portion of the post. A color genetics question…

This dog:

 
Is up for adoption. Cute yes? His name is Rex and you can see him at the Nor Cal BC Rescue site >HERE<.

How do you get a red dog with black nose leather? Does that happen in other breeds? Kinda weird, no?

18 comments:

  1. Speaking of Tibetan Terriers, to be shown in AKC, they must have black pigment on their nose and around their eyes, regardless of their coat color. Reds and whites still have the black pigment (though reds occasionally end up with red noses).

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT shots and no kidding on the coot is not a duck thing! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Koira beat me too it! Yup TTs all have black noses -even the red ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's beautiful! Great pics
    Dachshund Nola

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess KKoira and Catalina beat me to it, but Rex is yellow aka "Oz red" so the nose and around the eyes is black. I'm pretty sure I've seen explanations of color genetics somewhere, but unless you want me to dig it up, take a look here:

    http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BCColors_Tan/BC_ColorTan.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, see? Learn something every day. I thought that Oz Red or Yellow was related to regular red.

    More stuffs here: http://abnormality.purpleflowers.net/genetics/pigment.htm

    and here:

    http://abnormality.purpleflowers.net/genetics/black.htm

    I love this stuff but it confuses the shit out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's gorgeous :)

    Yellow actually "covers" the original coat colour, that's how it's possible to get a black nose and a reddish coat. Corgis have a color like that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.ashgi.org/color/yellow_aussies.htm

    ReplyDelete
  9. In Poodles, a liver or black nose is permitted in a red dog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great picture of the birds and what a cute pup. I would of thought the coot was a duck...my bad, please don't hate me for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. English Shepherds have sable coloring that can look reddish (as my pup does). Their noses are black.

    I used to live in Contra Costa County and "discovered" coots at Contra Loma Park, which is less than a mile from where we lived. I still miss that park! And I love coots! Guess I miss them, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No it's not uncommon. I bred red and white bull terriers and they always had black nose leather. I also bred boxers and they had a variety of colour crossing, depending on how much white was on their head, but generally, the nose was black.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No it's not uncommon. I bred red and white bull terriers and they always had black nose leather. I also bred boxers and they had a variety of colour crossing, depending on how much white was on their head, but generally, the nose was black.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos. Ducks - Coots, who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  15. also common in setters (both the English Setter in the red belton color, and the Irish Red & White setter) and in English Pointers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog! I read a lot of the posts last night. I know how it is trying to get dogs to stop pulling on you while you take photos :P So many of my hiking pictures turn out blurry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are some great bird photos. My dog Zeke always chases birds. Please check out Zekes blog about his dog diabetes.

    ReplyDelete