Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Flash: Handy Equip or Stealer of Souls?

So, as most of you know, on-camera flashes suck.

You either get Deer In The Headlights
DSC_5624

Or No Headlights
DSC_5633

I started playing with the wireless business with my new inside sun maker. First problem is that I have to use the on-cam flash to control it. Second problem, dogs confused by roaming light maker.

Kate won’t take her eyes off it
DSC_5623

It makes little mouse noises. Not sure if she should eat it…
DSC_5629

Or if it’ll eat her
DSC_5630

She can’t stop
DSC_5635

Looking at it
DSC_5636

Bella, though, a little more concern for personal safety.

For the Turid Rugaas fans - Calming Signals: A Refresher…

Freezing – really uncertain about near future
DSC_5643

Stress yawn – mild uncertainty
DSC_5649

Head turn – pressure releaser, “I’m worried, lets all calm down here”
DSC_5650

The Long Blink – Used to indicate too much flash usage
DSC_5642

Prisoner On Death Row look – sessions over
DSC_5648

OK, Turid didn’t write about those last two. Perhaps they are only practiced by dogs with obsessive camera using owners.
Perhaps.

9 comments:

  1. Great photos. Such pretty dogs. Love the shot of Kate when "she can't stop looking" at it. I'm used to your action shots, I like these stills of the dogs too. What kind of camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and such patient dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What kind of camera do you use?"

    Nikon D80

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bella and Turid,
    I'm an Australian Shepherd - owned by a photographer. The "Yawn", the "Frozen Stare", the "I don't want to look at the Camera Anymore" - I know exactly how you feel. Action shots are a lot more fun!!
    Tucker at The Sensible Dog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Border collie, and I have a horse. I love your blog, too, and when I saw the video of the below link, I instantly thought of you. Border collies, beware, looks like you may have some competition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVLY8YfbEo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow, I can't believe your dog sat still for that--I'm jealous! My 14-year-old GSP "Karl" has allowed me a total of 3 good pics. When I point a camera at him he slinks away like a pygmy in the rain forest who believes the camera will steal his soul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great. My dogs would never sit and let me just snap pics but I would love to..

    Dog BoardingReno

    ReplyDelete
  8. How on earth were you able to take those great pictures that easily???WOW! your dogs are really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, may be we meet, kiss you
    http://viatadebichon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete